So the Agfa Isolette III which I purchased during September of last year didn’t work. It was a risky buy, an old bellows camera but it looked cool so I hoped for the best. It also came with a used roll of film still in the case, sadly it wasn’t shots from the grassy knoll it had captured.
The first roll was a waste I think only a couple of reasonable images were captured and the camera was placed in hibernation.
Decided to fix the thing and take apart the top plate holding the rangefinder a couple of drops of lighter fluid had it free in no time. Back out shooting and another roll of film wasted due to sticky shutters which I had somehow managed to not spot. Camera retired again.
Find a tutorial on taking the lens apart and give that a go, lighter fluid releases the shutters and leave it over night. Check next morning shutters firing until I go to lower speeds and they jam up again.
More fluid and left for the rest of the day, same problem. Decided to shoot a roll anyway and get nothing decent after a few days it’s jamming on all speeds again.
Next is the attempt to take the entire lens out from the camera and leave it submerged in fluid over night. The lens is pretty tight in the bellows but I manage to free it without ramming a screwdriver through the bellows.
A night in it’s bath and the next night of firing on all speeds over and over again to free up any jammed in grime. Followed by another night in its liquid bath.
I’ve decided to pull of the original skin covering the body and replace it with a nice soft leather covering. Now I’ve got to put the lens back together, probably should have recorder the order in which it came apart but I manage.
The final part is to align the lens to the rangefinder distance reading and screw in the bezel at the required distance.
Amazingly I seem to have got the lens pretty close to spot on and the next roll of film reveals images that I can actually see!
I’ve got a fair bit of 120 film to get through so expect more in a couple of weeks.